Here are tips and best practices on keeping PC secured.
- Install and maintain security software that protects PC from Malwares (Virus, Spyware, Worm, Trojan etc).
- Run frequent updates and keep virus and spyware definitions current.
- Scan your computer often for malwares.
- Use Personal firewall and only allow communication to programs, you trust.
- Use administrator account only when required. For day to day activities use limited access account. This will help protect the computer if you accidentally open a bad email attachment, click a bad hyperlink, or browse a malicious website.
- Keep automatic updates ON for Operating System. These updates include security features update too and will help fix any security vulnerability before it is exploited by hackers.
- Use strong passwords that are not easy to hack and not easy to guess.
- Avoid clicking random links and visiting random website.
- Avoid opening email attachment from unknown sources.
- Do not download unknown software on your computer.
- Perform frequent back up of your data. So, your PC can be recovered if something bad happens to your computer.
- Remove data securely from computer. If you are going to sell your PC or hard drive, make sure you wipe the data and not just delete the data.
April 21, 2009 Add comments