Firefox is very powerful web browser. The open nature of Firefox ensures that there are add-ons to help you achieve more from your web browsing experience. Here is the list of hand picked add-on you should consider.
Foxmarks: Best Bookmark Syncing Firefox Plug-in
If you work on multiple computers, you need a Plug-in that can synchronize bookmarks. Foxmarks is an excellent plug-in for syncing bookmarks. There are other plug-ins for synchronizing Bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies etc. But when it comes to synchronizing bookmarks (and only bookmarks), Foxmarks is outstanding.
Install Foxmarks on all the computers, sign-in using Foxmarks account and Foxmarks will automatically synchronize bookmarks based on preferences.
Another key feature of Foxmarks is that you can access and work on your bookmarks on the web at my.foxmarks.com. This is helpful feature if you are on a computer where you do not want to install add-on or you don’t have permission to install Add-on or even Firefox.
Foxmarks synchronizes only bookmarks. If you need to access history, passwords and cookies on multiple computers, you need to look at other plug-ins e.g. Mozilla Weave.
Googlepedia: Wikipedia in Google & Google in Wikipedia
Googlepedia is a Firefox add-on that will display a relevant article from Wikipedia along side Google search results. This is a really useful extension if you like to read Wikipedia overview of the topic while searching or like to see Google search results for the Wikipedia internal links.
Here are key features of the extension
- You can hide the Googlepedia anytime by clicking on hide button.
- You can expand the Googlepedia to full page by clicking on expand link.
- The add-on converts Wikipedia internal links into Google searches. So, if you click on any Wikipedia link from Googlepedia, the link will show Wikipedia article and Google search results for the topic.
- You can click on ‘View on Wikipedia’ link anytime if you prefer to read the article in Wikipedia.
- The extension removes AdWords from Google Search results.
Note – Many publishers are calling Google’s online Content creation platform “Knol” with the same name “Googlepedia”. These two have no connection except for the fact that Knol is considered Wikpedia competitor and Googlepedia merges Google search results and Wikipedia articles.
Linkification: Convert Text links to clickable links
Ever came across text links on a webpage which cannot be clicked. It is frustrating to copy and past these links in address bar. It is even more annoying if you have to go thru a list of hyperlinks. Linkification is Firefox add-on that can convert these text links into clickable links.
Linkification is very customizable. You can enable or disable Auto-Linkification and customize other options. You can click on the linkification icon in bottom right corner to switch between auto enable and disable function. When links are not enabled, simply double click on the text link to open it in browser.
Web developer: Must Have Add-on for Webmasters
Firefox Web developer plug in is one of the must have tools for every web developer and designer. There are tonnes of important features that would help and ease web development. Here are some of the features of this powerful Firefox extension.
- View and Edit CSS – You can test CSS changes without having to touch CSS file. Once you are satisfied with changes, copy the changes to CSS file. (CSS -> Edit CSS)
- Measure Objects – Want to know size and position of objects, you can use toolbar Ruler. (Miscellaneous -> Display Ruler)
- Display Block Size – This option allows you to see size of different blocks on a webpage.
- Validate External Links – If you have had your website for some time, some of the external links may not be working. Find out broken links. (Tools -> Validate Links)
- Display Individual Styles - You can display CSS for an element (CSS -> View Style Information)
- Test Screen Sizes - View website in different screen sizes and make sure it looks good. (Resize -> Resize Window)
- Image Information - You can find out information about images such as dimension, size, path etc. (Images -> Display functions)
- Broken Images – Discover broken images. (Image -> Find Broken Images)
- Disable Options – Test website with certain options disabled such as java, java script etc. This will help you understand behavior of your website if user has disabled these options. (Disable -> various functions)
- Display Colors – View colors and hex codes a website is using (Information -> View Color Information)
- Meta Tags - View Meta tags (Information -> View Meta tags Information)
- Validations – You can validate HTML, Feed, CSS etc using W3C Validation tools (Tools -> Validate functions)
Outwit Docs: Firefox Add-on for Document Search
Not Happy with Your Search Engine’s document search feature, Outwit Docs might be the answer. Outwit Docs is a Firefox add on to search documents on the internet such as PDF, Office Files (doc, xls, ppt as well as Office 2007 counterparts), Open Office, Flash etc.
Even though, Search Engines do provide way to search documents and specific file types. Documents require different viewing options as compared to regular web search. That is where Outwit Docs is useful. Searching for documents will be as easy as searching documents on desktop.